Established in 2003, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences(AIMS) is Africa’s first network of centre’s of excellence in mathematical sciences. We enable the continent’s youth to shape the continent’s future through Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths (STEM) education – training Africa’s next generation of leaders. We have six centre’s of excellence across Africa – in South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The AIMS Next Einstein initiative is working to operate fifteen centre’s of excellence across Africa by 2023.
AIMS is a call to Action to:
- Invest in STEM education to move Africa’s development forward
- Increase collaboration between the public and private sector to prioritize STEM education in Africa
- Encourage policy makers to push the Agenda of STEM education in Africa for the transformation of and sustainable growth of the continent, especially as pertains to increasing the number of women in the STEM fields.
- Get Africa’s most talented students to pursue an education in mathematical sciences to innovate and further propel Africa’s future.
- Increase partnership with industry to contribute to filling the gap in STEM, increase productivity and provide critical skills that are indispensable as Africa embarks on its industrial revolution.
The AIMS Model
The AIMS model is unique in its pan-African focus, broad curriculum, focus on independent critical thinking, inclusion of modern computational techniques and research components. AIMS identifies top African graduates and provides them with a world class education in mathematical sciences, enabling them to purse careers in research, industry and civil society. Students benefit from full bursary support, continuous access to computing, internet and electricity, close interaction with full-time tutors and visiting professors, as well as a bilingual education. Endorsed by NEPAD, the African Union and TED as an idea big enough to change the world, this model has been refined and proven at 6 AIMS Centres of Excellence in South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda, with over 1500 graduates gone onto careers all over Africa, as researchers, teachers, epidemiologists, business people and financial modelers, in addition to a gender-responsive Teacher Training.
Our vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries.
Our mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
To implement its vision, AIMS targets the brightest young African students, shaping them as independent thinkers, and problem-solvers capable of innovating and propelling Africa to economic prosperity. Africa’s youth are at the heart of the innovation and transformation ecosystem which consists of a set of academic and non-academic programs expertly tailored to provide AIMS learners with a unique post-graduate training experience on the continent.